1937 Delahaye 135MS Roadster
Madame Jeanne Falaschi in front of the Figoni & Falaschi bodied Delahaye 135 MS Roadster. This photo was one of many used to repaint the car. In 1937 this car was one of two Delahaye's shown at the Paris Auto show.
This is the car, as purchased, by the Collier Museum.
The car completely striped and being reassembled for metalwork. Note the small patch of paint above the headlamp, this is one of only two original samples of paint found on the car.
The original patch of paint was preserved throughout the repainting process. Note the upper right hand of the patch that was removed. This was sent out to a lab that inspects paint refraction to determine exactly what kind of paint was used. It was determined to be nitrocellulose lacquer with organic metallic flakes (most likely fish scales) was used in the original painting process. A company by the name William Wolfe has a large supply of european nitrocellulose paint and was key in recreating the paint.
Final coats of high build primer, after many months of work.
Primed and wet-sanded, ready for top coats.
Final coats of nitrocellulose lacquer . This would have been the original sheen of the car according to photos. However, it was decided to apply clear on top of this to better preserve the paint.
Photo courtesy of Peter Harholdt. Photo was taken for the Sensuous Steel exhibit for the First Center for the Visual Arts in Memphis Tennessee.